I am playing around with some of the UI elements, but the thing that makes we want to give up and cry is that I have to exit the game and restart it every time to see my changes. Given that even a minor change may take 5 or 10 attempts to get it the way I want, it makes the whole exercise a total pain.
I thought the command /reloadui would do the trick, but it doesn't reload the major elements.
Is there any way I can force a reload of the complete UI from within the game?
Couldn't get anything to work that would allow me to edit UI .tga files on the fly, and it has driven me mad all day. I have finally figured out... well, not exactly a solution, more of a workaround. I can't believe /reloadui is really this useless, but until someone can show me where I have gone wrong, this is my workaround:
In this example I have got Stonerune installed, but I want to change bb_back_2x25.tga which is the background for the bottom bars.
1. Open an Explorer window to ...\Funcom\Age of Conan\Data\Gui\Customized
2. Open graphics editor
3. Run Age of Conan
4. In graphics editor, open ...\Funcom\Age of Conan\Data\Gui\Customized\graphics\Stonerune\botto mbars\bb_back_2x25.tga
5. "Save Copy As..." BAK_bb_back_2x25.tga (this is my backup copy for when it all goes tits up)
6. Edit and save bb_back_2x25.tga (at this point /reloadui won't do anything, as the file has already been loaded into the game)
7. Elegant version - I know that this file is referred to in ...\Customized\Views\HUD\BottomBar.xml, so in my Explorer window I rename the file to xxxBottomBar.xml
Dirty version - I don't know where the file reference is, so I rename the \Customized\Views folder to xxxViews
8. In game I use the chatline command /reloadui. In the elegant version my bottom bar background disappears, in the dirty version all my customized HUD elements disappear. (Making the file reference inaccessible means that the /reloadui command fails because it is unable to locate the references that have been hidden. In effect it is forcing a flush of those elements).
9. I can now remove the xxx that I added to my file or folder name in stage 7
10. In game use /reloadui again - the modified bottom bar background (plus any other custom HUD elements that were removed) reappear
11. If I don't like the result I go back to stage 6 and repeat
As I said, there has to be an easier way than this nonsense, so please add your comments.